2022 Open Studio,
Archive and Collections Assistant
We're excited to announce Erica Jochim as the recipient of the Open Studio, Archive and Collections Assistant Career Launcher.
Erica Jochim is a Mississauga based artist with a BFA in Drawing and Painting from OCAD U. As an artist of mixed Caribbean and European descent, her work expresses in-between spaces and multifaceted viewpoints. Her paintings combine historical, contemporary, and personal influences. Inspired by the dramatic lighting and colour palette of Renaissance and Baroque paintings, she combines historical and contemporary compositions to comment on intersectional issues. She seeks to highlight the importance of looking at the world through a critical lens.
Photo by Tizzi Tan.
Open Studio is an Artist-Run Centre dedicated to contemporary print. Open Studio offers accessible, inclusive and affordable printmaking facilities, programs and services for artists and the public from across Canada and abroad. They support artists in the creation and exhibition of contemporary print in an open-minded, safe and collaborative environment. Their vision is to shape the exploration of print as essential, dynamic, and relevant to contemporary culture and creative thought.
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers is excited to
announce a recruited placement in partnership with Open Studio for the role of
Archive and Collections Assistant. The Archive and Collections Assistant will join
the Open Studio team at an exciting time as they move forward with a project to
create a formalized collection from an archive of donated prints created at Open
Studio in its past and current locations over 50 years. This position will assist with
improving access to Open Studio’s print collection by organizing and cataloging
artworks, and with digitizing artworks and archive materials to be shared via a
dedicated social media channel.
Open Studio is committed to equity and diversity in all aspects of its operations.
Open Studio welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and strongly
encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including
racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, women, and persons
of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. Applicants are
welcome to advise the CEAD of any accommodations needed to ensure you have
access to a fair and equitable process.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Archivist, and Curator and Collections Manager, with aspects of collections management as Open Studio establishes its print collection as a resource for education and exhibition programming
- Assist with physical organizing and re-housing of artworks and ephemera to create a more accessible and functional archive space
- Assist with preparations of artworks for storage and documentation
- Assist with digitally cataloging artworks in Open Studio’s collection database
- Assist with photo documentation of artworks in the collection
- Assist in establishing a social media channel to share the story of the print collection.
$25 hour, for 25 hours per week
Part-time contract, beginning in late February to June 2022*
*Under current pandemic restrictions, Open Studio is currently closed to the public until January 27. The anticipated start date for this position is the end of February 2022 and it is an in-person working role. In the event that the Gallery must remain closed for public health, the start date for the position may be delayed until the end of March 2022 and continue till July 2022. The Gallery will work closely with the selected candidate to determine a start date.
The OCAD U RBC CEAD is committed to promoting substantive equality for equity-seeking groups that are under-represented in the creative sector. We encourage applications from first-time applicants to the program and graduates of equity-seeking communities including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities / expressions. Applicants are welcome to advise the CEAD of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Applicants who need assistance with their submissions are invited to connect with the RBC CEAD for Advising support. Click here to learn more about how to book an advising appointment.
Applicants who have concerns about meeting a Career Launcher application deadline are invited to connect with the CEAD in order to discuss possible alternatives. We encourage all who might require assistance with the application process to reach out to determine available support. Outreach of this nature should be undertaken at least one week prior to the published application deadline.
401 Richmond St. W Suite #104, Toronto ON
VIRTUAL INFO SESSION
Monday, January 17, 2022 | 2-3 PM
Click here to RSVP
Join our upcoming info session to learn more about Open Studio and resources for putting together a strong application.
- Recent OCAD U grads (2020 or 2021)
- An interest in collections and gallery exhibitions
- A background or interest in contemporary art
- Keen eye for detail and strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well both within a small team, and independently
- Experience in artwork documentation, archives and collections, handling artworks on paper, database management, and knowledge of printmaking practices would be considered an asset
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Career Launcher opportunity
Monday, January 31, 2022, at 11:59pm (midnight)
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email)
- Current resume
- A brief statement/bio that contextualizes your overall practice (150 words max)
- A cover letter outlining your interest in this specific opportunity (500 words max)
- A short statement outlining the potential significance of the opportunity to your practice and/or development (100 words max)