DesignTO Programs Assistant
Adé Abegunde is a nigerian interdisciplinary artist + designer and recent graduate of OCAD University’s environmental design program. One of her long-term goals is to explore how art and design can be used as tools to help people form more meaningful connections to themselves, each other and the spaces they exist in. She is a founding member of motherSun, a creative agency and studio dedicated to fostering authentic creative communities in Africa and has worked with re: Magazine as a creative producer and content creator since 2019.
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers was excited to announce a recruited placement in partnership with DesignTO for the role of Scotiabank Programs Assistant.
Working with and reporting to the Artistic Director, the Scotiabank Programs Assistant supports the planning, administration, and execution of DesignTO Festival programming, including exhibitions, events, outreach, and special initiatives.
The RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers recognizes Scotiabank for its generous support for the Career Launcher program.
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers is excited to announce a recruited placement in partnership with DesignTO for the role of Programs Assistant.
Working with and reporting to the Artistic Director, the Programs Assistant supports the planning, administration, and execution of DesignTO Festival programming, including exhibitions, events, outreach, and special initiatives.
With a keen interest in art, design, public programming and community engagement, this role requires effective ideation, communication, collaboration, and execution. Valuable attributes include strong communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail, self-motivation, and a willingness to learn. This is a part-time position, requiring an average of 12 hours of work per week, and increased hours during Festival Week in January 2022.
DesignTO Festival is Canada’s leading (and largest) annual design festival that celebrates design as a multidisciplinary form of creative thinking and making. Since 2011, DesignTO has been bringing communities together to celebrate design, by taking art and design out of the studio and into the urban realm.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and programming team to achieve Festival goals and long-term vision;
- Contribute to overall programming efforts by assisting with developing, organizing, and executing initiatives and projects, including research, outreach, calls for submissions, artwork installation;
- Share your ideas and participate in bi-weekly team meetings;
- Maintain good communication internally and externally with the art and design community, partners, and stakeholders as appropriate to each project;
- Contribute to Festival website by assisting with content collection and event listings for Festival events;
- Be responsible for the progress and outcomes of initiatives and projects you contribute to;
- Support Festival events and projects by being an on-site point-of-contact.
Part-time (12 hours per week) from May 2021 to February 2022 (10 months)
Remote work in Eastern Standard Time, with in-person meetings when pandemic conditions allow
The OCAD U RBC CEAD and DesignTO are committed to promoting substantive equality for equity-seeking groups that are under-represented in the creative sector. We encourage applications from first-time applicants to the program and graduates of equity-seeking communities including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities / expressions.
Applicants who need assistance with their submissions are invited to connect with the RBC CEAD for Advising support from Zviko Mhakayakora at email@example.com.
- Current OCAD U students in any discipline at the 3rd or final year at the Undergraduate level and any year at the Master's level
- Strong communications skills
- Detail oriented, highly organized and strong time-management skills
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills and a strong ability to clearly articulate point of view
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude—i.e., able to collaborate with all levels of internal and external partners
- Ability to work effectively and independently on multiple tasks within a deadline oriented, fast-paced environment
- Strong conceptual skills
- Current resume including full contact information (name, phone and email)
- Cover letter outlining your interest in the opportunity and highlighting your relevant experience. (Address it to Deborah Wang)
- Creative portfolio (PDF or website).
All uploaded files must be named as follows to be considered: LastName_First Name_[item]_DesignTO, for example, Doe_Dakota_Resume_DesignTO
Submit via Typeform here:
April 11, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST