Canadian Tire Jumpstart x OCAD U: Call for Artworks
OCAD U is excited to partner with Canadian TireCorporation to create an exclusive call for submissions for members of the OCAD U community. This call for artworks is a new initiative that will commission five new works created by OCAD U students/alumni in support of Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities. These commissioned artworks will be auctioned in September 2021 at the annual Canadian Tire Dealers Convention, benefiting Jumpstart Charities, which helps kids overcome barriers to sport and recreation in an effort to provide inclusive play for kids of all abilities.
Individual project grants of $2,000 each will be awarded to OCAD U affiliated artists by a jury made up of Canadian Tire and OCAD U representatives. Recipients will be selected on the basis of a short, written proposal and the strength of a portfolio of existing work. Proposals should demonstrate an affinity for the heritage of Canadian Tire Corporation, the role of the retailer in supporting Canadians, or showcase the charitable work of Jumpstart which as an organization breaks down barriers to ensure that every kid has a chance to play. Works could potentially respond to themes such as the role of Canadian Tire in local communities, the longer history of Canadian Tire or Jumpstart themes such as movement, inclusiveness, children, ability or sport, but are not limited to these recommendations.
- Call for Artist Participant Launch: September 18, 2020
- Deadline for Applications: October 9, 2020
- Jurying of Proposals by Partner: Week of October 12, 2020
- Award Announcement: Week of October 19, 2020
- Approval of Final Concepts by Partner: By November 16, 2020
- Production of Commissioned Artwork: November 23, 2020 – March 15, 2020
- Documentation of Artworks Provided: By March 22, 2021
- Artworks Delivered to Partner: Last week of March 2021
As one of the most trusted and iconic Canadian brands, customers have been shopping with us for over 95 years because we provide them with the most relevant assortment and exclusive products they need for life in Canada. With over 500 retail locations, and leading the way in Automotive, Playing, Fixing, Seasonal andLiving categories, we are Canada’s Store.
Founded in 2005, Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities is a national charitable organization dedicated to breaking down barriers to get more kids into organized sports and physical activities. With an extensive national network of more than 300 local chapters, Jumpstart Charities helps kids overcome financial and accessibility barriers to sport and recreation in an effort to provide inclusive play for kids of all abilities. 100% of every donation made to aJumpstart Chapter gets reinvested in that community— directly impacting local kids.
Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
- OCAD U Alumni from any program of study who have graduated between 2014 and 2020
- OCAD U undergraduate students who have earned 15.0 or more credits
- OCAD U Graduate students who will be completing their program in the current academic year
- Name and contact information. Please confirm your eligibility regarding the qualifications (above)
- A current resume or CV
- A short written proposal (max. 250 words) that clearly describes the work which will be created, including any potential linkages to the partner or suggested themes
- Links to an online portfolio of prior work. Please also specify up to 3 particular past works for the jury to begin with.
- Final works can be realized in any medium but will need be “exhibition ready”, eg. framed or mounted, if selected
- Works may have been created individually or in collaboration (one grant per submission)
- Applicants can propose a series of works or one stand-alone work (one grant per submission)
- Works will need to be digitally documented by the artists for the purposes of online circulation
- Selected artists will have access to Canadian Tire archives in order to support any potential research needs
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS
Friday, October 9, 2020 at 11:59 PM
All applicants will submit via Typeform:
Special Projects Coordinator