Museum Services & Communications Associate
The Museum Services & Communications Associate will work directly with staff to enhance the Museum experience for our visitors and will support the Communication department in executing the Museum’s communication and marketing program; communicating the vision, mission and programming of the TMC to targeted diverse audiences.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Principal Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Museum Services (50% of time)
- Greets visitors and provides reception services, including handling cash and directing general inquiries.
- Performs opening and closing security routines for institutional programs and facility rental events and security sweeps during operating hours.
- Serves as an advocate for the visitor while simultaneously promoting the welfare of the Museum.
- Assist Shop volunteers in all aspects of providing exceptional customer service, including product knowledge and merchandising ideas.
- Participate in staff meetings, health & safety training initiatives and support overall office management.
Communications (50% of time)
- Research best practises in digital and online marketing and community engagement and make recommendations to the Communications department.
- Originate and implement cross-promotional relationships with other key cultural institutions and businesses.
- Assist in the creation of a wide variety of communication tools, including news releases, reports, briefing materials, interpretive documents, and other communication material to advocate and support all TMC programs.
- Support and develop content for social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and website.
- Work with staff to identify potential media opportunities and stories.
- Works to further the goals and objectives of the Museum and participates actively in the life of the institution.
- Acts in a respectful, accountable, and generous manner towards other staff, volunteers, and the general public.
RATE: $16.5/ hour for 35 hours/ week
TERM: Full-time, February - July 2019 (20 weeks)
DEADLINE: Monday, January 21 2019
TEXTILE MUSEUM OF CANADA
- Must have graduated from OCADU in 2017 or 2018.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and analytical skills, including demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Advanced customer service skills, knowledge of cash handling, retail sales, office administration and Experience working with volunteers.
- Experience in media relations, comfortable in dealing with the press and social media.
- Self-motivated; ability to problem solve and manage workflows and deadlines independently.
- Impeccable attention to detail, adaptability, multi-tasking and time management.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite, POS, and e-mail).
- Smart Serve, First Aid and CPR certificates (assets).
- Prior art museum experience and knowledge of museum operations, standards, practices, and procedures (asset).
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email), a confirmation of eligibility and a current résumé.
- A cover letter outlining interest and relevant background.
Please submit all written components in one (1) PDF to the attention of Tak Pham [email protected]
The Textile Museum of Canada (TMC) is the only museum in Canada that explores ideas and builds cultural understanding through the universally relevant media of textiles. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, the Museum’s permanent collection spans nearly 2,000 years and consists of more than 13,000 artifacts. A leader in the digitization of collections and interactive environments, the TMC has been recognized the world over for innovation in the development of landmark educational, research and creative initiatives.
Special Project Coordinator, Career Launchers
E: [email protected]
P: 416 977 6000 Ext. 361