Working with the Director and fellow team members at Critical Distance, the Curatorial Programs Assistant supports and contributes to the research, development, management, execution, promotion, and documentation of CDCC exhibitions, events, educational programs, and other initiatives. For the right person, this is an opportunity to help shape the future of the organization and to learn and grow along with it.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Curatorial Programs Assistant will support or be responsible for a variety of projects and tasks based on incoming level of experience, areas of interest, and evolving needs of the organization, including:
- Assisting with exhibition planning, budgeting, and fundraising, liaising with guest curators and artists, drafting agreements and record-keeping, handling inquiries and submissions, and other administrative tasks.
- Supporting the execution, promotion, and documentation of exhibitions and events including research, writing, and editing media releases, newsletters, didactic materials, and catalogues for print and web platforms. Assisting with installation as needed.
- Gallery attending and media/public engagement including exhibition talks, tours, and appearances on behalf of Critical Distance. Aiding in research, development and implementation of strategic outreach initiatives including education programs, curatorial network and community building events, accessibility initiatives, digital strategies, and donor/partner/sponsor relationship-building. Providing ambassadorship for the space and our programs through network outreach.
- Participating in team meetings and strategic planning sessions to shape the organizations’ future and share feedback/ideas for all aspects of operations and programming.
RATE: $17/ hour for 10 - 12hours/ week
TERM: Part-time, January – December 2019 (48 weeks)
DEADLINE: Monday, December 3, 2018 - Submissions Closed!
CRITICAL DISTANCE CENTRE FOR CURATORS
- Must have graduated from OCADU in 2017 or 2018
- Excellent written/spoken communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, strong initiative, and willingness to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with attention to details and deadlines. Punctual, reliable team player.
- Strong knowledge of curatorial practices and contemporary art contexts in Toronto, Canada, and beyond. Desire to foster critical discourse on topical issues in art, curating, exhibition-making and more through exhibition and educational program development.
- Willingness to actively engage in outreach and network/community relationship-building on behalf of the organization. Interest in making connections across disciplines, cultures, and contexts.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn: Google Apps, social media platforms, and other apps such as Asana, and Adobe Creative Suite.Photography skills a big plus.
- Experience in content/project management, marketing, development, event planning, and/or inventory management is an asset.
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email),a confirmation of eligibility and a current CV
- A cover letter outlining interest and relevant background
Please submit all written components in one (1) PDF to the attention of Tak Pham [email protected]
Critical Distance is a not-for-profit project space, publisher, and professional network devoted to the support and advancement of curatorial practice and inquiry in Toronto, Canada, and beyond. With a focus on critically engaged, collaborative, and cross-disciplinary practices, underrepresented artists and art forms, and community outreach and education in art and exhibition-making, Critical Distance is an open platform for diverse curatorial perspectives, and a forum for the exchange of ideas on curating and exhibition-making as ways to engage and inform audiences from all walks of life.
CDCC is committed to fostering an equitable and inclusive environment and encourages candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities to apply. As always, we thank all participants for their time, energy, interest, and support.
Special Project Coordinator, Career Launchers
E: [email protected]
P: 416 977 6000 Ext. 361