2023 DesignTO Programs Assistant
We're excited to announce Kikki Guerard as the recipient of the DesignTO Programs Assistant 2023 Career Launcher.
A 2Spirit Cree from Taykwa Tagamou FirstNation, Kikki is an art director, photographer, and designer. They pursued apost-secondary education in Advertising at OCAD University. Their creative workexplores the many facets of identity and culture, including discussions ofqueerness & gender.
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers is excited to announce a recruited placement in partnership with DesignTO for the role of Programs Assistant.
Working with and reporting to the Artistic Director, the Programs Assistant supports the planning, administration, and execution of DesignTO Festival programming, including exhibitions, events, outreach, and special initiatives.
With a keen interest in art, design, public programming and community engagement, this role requires effective ideation, communication, collaboration, and execution. Valuable attributes include strong communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail, self-motivation, and a willingness to learn. This is a part-time position, requiring an average of 12 hours of work per week, and increased hours during Festival Week in January 2024.
DesignTO is a non-profit arts organization that curates exhibitions, presentations and educational programming to increase the public’s knowledge and appreciation of design and its role in creating a sustainable, just and joyful world. DesignTO is best known for the DesignTO Festival, Canada’s leading and largest annual design festival that celebrates design as a multidisciplinary form of creative thinking and making.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and programming team to achieve Festival goals and long-term vision;
- Contribute to overall programming efforts by assisting with developing, organizing, and executing initiatives and projects, including research, outreach, calls for submissions, artwork installation;
- Share your ideas and participate in weekly team meetings;
- Maintain good communication internally and externally with the art and design community, partners, and stakeholders as appropriate to each project;
- Contribute to Festival website by assisting with content collection and event listings for Festival events;
- Be responsible for the progress and outcomes of initiatives and projects you contribute to;
- Support Festival events and projects by being an on-site point-of-contact.
Part-time (12 hours/week) from April 2023 to January 2024 (10 months)
Remote work in Eastern Standard Time, with in-person and on-site meetings as needed
The OCAD U RBC CEAD is committed to promoting substantive equality for equity-seeking groups that are under-represented in the creative sector. We encourage applications from first-time applicants to the program and graduates of equity-seeking communities including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities / expressions. Applicants are welcome to advise the CEAD of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Applicants who need assistance with their submissions are invited to connect with the RBC CEAD for Advising support. Click here to learn more about how to book an advising appointment.
Applicants who have concerns about meeting a Career Launcher application deadline are invited to connect with the CEAD in order to discuss possible alternatives. We encourage all who might require assistance with the application process to reach out to determine available support. Outreach of this nature should be undertaken at least one week prior to the published application deadline.
- Current OCAD U students in any discipline at the 3rd or final year at the Undergraduate level and any year at the Master's level
- Strong communications skills
- Detail oriented, highly organized and strong time-management skills
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills and a strong ability to clearly articulate point of view
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude—i.e., able to collaborate with all levels of internal and external partners
- Ability to work effectively and independently on multiple tasks within a deadline oriented, fast-paced environment
- Strong conceptual skills
- Contact info (Name, phone, and email)
- Current resume
- Cover letter outlining your interest in the opportunity and highlighting your relevant experience.
- Creative portfolio (PDF or website).
VIRTUAL INFO SESSION
Monday, February 27, 2023
1:00 - 2:00 PM ET
Click here to RSVP
Join our upcoming info session to learn more about DesignTO and resources for putting together a strong application.
Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 8:00 am ET
Submit via Typeform here:
Special Projects Coordinator