2022 NEO Commissioning Program
Call for Artists
In winter 2022, the RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers renewed our partnership NEO Exchange, Canada’s next-generation stock exchange to co-create the NEO Commissioning Program.
We're thrilled to announce the five new artists who will be working closely with NEO Exchange over the next year to create commissioned works of art to commemorate the listing of a corporate client or the launch of a new fund on the NEO stock exchange.
NEO Exchange Inc
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers and NEO Exchange, Canada’s next-generation stock exchange, have partnered to co-create the NEO Commissioning Program. Five (5) emerging artists from OCAD U, working in a variety of mediums, will be commissioned to provide works of art to commemorate the listing of a corporate client or the launch of a new fund on the NEO stock exchange.
The NEO Commissioning Program will select and retain five (5) emerging artists, representing different artistic practices, providing a diversity of artistic voices and approaches to be showcased in the commissioning program. Working under the guidance of a Curatorial Coordinator and responding to a client creative brief, each artist will be commissioned to produce no less than six (6) original artworks over the course of the program term. Artists will receive $1,200 per commissioned work.
Completed works will be prominently bestowed to NEO Exchange clients and be cherished with their corporate art collections. They will be proudly featured in NEO Exchange’s promotion of its new listings via virtual or live events, social media posts, and email newsletters. The commissioned work (with artist credit) will be displayed in a gallery of NEO listings online at www.neo.inc.
Learn more about the NEO commissioning-program here
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Each of the five (5) emerging artists will:
- Respond to the creative brief provided by the Curatorial Coordinator and the client; ensuring commissioned artworks are aligned to the client’s brief
- Provide initial proposed concepts to the Coordinator (sketches, etc.)
- Based on the artist’s initial concept proposal, each of the artists will ensure that each commission is completed as per the respective deadline (typically 2-3 weeks)
- Work with the Curatorial Coordinator to arrange for the delivery of an artist statement, photo-documentation, and completed commissioned artworks.
RATE: $1,200 per commissioned work (x6 or more works)
TERM: Part-time freelance contract May 2022 - April 2023 (12 months)
DEADLINE: Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 11:59pm (midnight)
Note: Virtual “studio” visits with short-listed candidates will be held in late March 2022
NEO Exchange Inc
- Current OCAD U student or recent OCAD U graduate (2020, 2021) working in any medium
- Experience in producing small-to medium sized works and working within a set budget. Must be able to create new, original works in a limited time-frame (typically 2-3 weeks)
- Previous experience with art commissions is an asset
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Career Launcher opportunity
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email) and current creative CV
- Website and/or Social Media handle
- A brief artist statement/bio that contextualizes your overall practice (150 words max)
- A short statement outlining the potential significance of the opportunity to your practice and/or development (100 words max)
- 5 - 10 sample support images of past artwork, in a single PDF
- A corresponding list for the support images including: artist name, title, year, medium, size details, in one PDF (same PDF as artwork images).
About NEO Exchange
NEO Exchange is a Canadian stock exchange based in Toronto. Marketed as Canada's New Stock Exchange, NEO aims to help companies, dealers and investors by creating a better listing experience, eliminating predatory market behaviours such as high-frequency trading, implementing a unique market making program to ensure liquidity, and offering free real-time market data for all NEO-listed securities