2022 Colour Code Publishing
OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers (CEAD) is excited to announce the inaugural Colour Code Publishing Career Launcher, an opportunity for one OCAD U student or one OCAD U student group to publish a risographic book project with Colour Code Publishing & Printing.
This is a great opportunity for artists and designers interested in artists’ books, risograph printing, and learning the print and production process. The recipient(s) will receive the opportunity to publish a Risograph book project with Colour Code. Working closely with the team at Colour Code, the recipient or group will gain hands-on knowledge of editing and layout design for print as well as participating in the production process itself. The selected artist or group will receive copies of the publication for their own distribution as well as international distribution and wholesale opportunities with Colour Code’s shop.
Established in 2012, Colour Code is an independent print studio and publishing platform based in Toronto. Colour Code specializes in high quality, artist friendly Risograph printing, as well as publication of small-run artist books, comics, posters and other printed matter. Visit their online store and Instagram to view past publications and projects.
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email)
- Current creative CV or creative CVs of group members
- A brief statement/bio that contextualizes your overall practice (150 words max)
- A written proposal outlining (500 words max)
- Your interest in this specific opportunity and knowledge and interest in risograph
- A short statement outlining the potential significance of the opportunity to your (or your group’s) practice and/or development (100 words max)
- Details of the publication you are planning to produce, including proposed dimensions, page count, number of colours, and a project description of the book.
* This opportunity is intended for proposals with an interest in risographic printing and bookmaking as a medium. Compilation publications such anthologies and journals are welcomed. However, proposals for catalogues of existing and complete projects are discouraged.
- Online portfolio or an attached PDF portfolio. Include 5-7 sample support images of past artwork in a single PDF. Sketches of the proposed publication are welcome and encouraged
The OCAD U RBC CEAD is committed to promoting substantive equality for equity-seeking groups that are under-represented in the creative sector. We encourage applications from first-time applicants to the program and graduates of equity-seeking communities including racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities / expressions. Applicants are welcome to advise the CEAD of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Applicants who need assistance with their submissions are invited to connect with the RBC CEAD for Advising support. Click here to learn more about how to book an advising appointment.
Applicants who have concerns about meeting a Career Launcher application deadline are invited to connect with the CEAD in order to discuss possible alternatives. We encourage all who might require assistance with the application process to reach out to determine available support. Outreach of this nature should be undertaken at least one week prior to the published application deadline.
Colour Code Printing & Publishing
Location: 251 Sorauren Ave. Unit 104. Toronto, ON. M6R 2G3
COFFEE CHAT W/ JESJIT GILL
Thursday, April 7, 2022
2:00 - 3:00 PM
Click here to RSVP
Join our upcoming Coffee Chat event to learn more about Jesjit Gill, Artist, Printer at Colour Code Publishing, Organizer/Co-founder of Zine Dream, and OCAD U Printmaking grad. Jesjit will also speak about his experience at Colour Code and the many possibilities of working with their team and studio.
- OCAD U students in their 3rd or final year in any program at the undergraduate level and any year at the Master’s level. Student groups must be comprised of at least 50% of this makeup.
- Preference will be given to proposals with an avid interest in riso printing or who are eager to develop these skills further
- Must be available Summer 2022 to work on publication with Colour Code Printing team
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Career Launcher opportunity
Sunday, May 15, 2022, (11:59 PM)
- Production Period: June-July, 2022
- Final Artwork delivered to Colour Code: August, 2022