Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
The Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers is excited to announce the return of our partnership with Canada’s leading juried outdoor art fair. The Toronto Outdoor Art Fair Career Launcher award is for students and recent alumni (2020) in the Illustration, Material Art & Design, Photography and Printmaking/Publications programs. The selected students will have a free showcase opportunity at the special hybrid online/outdoor 60th Anniversary Fair; TOAF was established to nurture excellence and an entrepreneurial spirit, and to showcase contemporary work to the general public. This free public event showcases works by over 360 exhibitors and attracts 130,000 visitors to Nathan Phillips Square each year.
TOAF has always reserved a portion of the Fair to emerging and student artists and is proud to have hosted many well-known Canadian artists early in their careers including: Barbara Astman, Edward Burtynsky and many others. This is an amazing opportunity to get yourself out there, nurture an audience, and sell your work! Student applications will be reviewed by the TOAF jury for final selection.
- Must be an ILLU, MAAD, Photography or PRNT/PUBL student graduating this year (2021) or a recent alumni from these programs (2020)
- Multidisciplinary artists can submit up to 3 different applications in 3 different categories (see below for category descriptions)
- You must apply individually under your own name
- 3D Works - Original works that are three-dimensional, using additive or reductive techniques, including freestanding sculptures, reliefs, assemblages etc. created using either traditional or experimental materials.
- 2D Works – original works that are two-dimensional, created using one or more physical material, including Drawing, Printmaking, Illustration, Collage, and Mixed Media works, etc.
- Craft & Design - hand crafted objects (functional or decorative) created using fine craft and/or industrial design practices including, Ceramics, Glass, Jewellery, Textile, Wood/Furniture, etc. Multi-disciplinary and/or hybrid practices welcomed. Exclude machine-screen patterns or other forms of mass production, and factory produced wearable items regardless of additional modification.
- Painting - works created using oil, acrylic, encaustic, watercolour, inks, etc.
- Photography & Digital Media - Photographic prints made from the artist’s original image, and/or digitally manipulated images created from original artist images, and/or other sourced material.
COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES
The TOAF team cares about the health and safety of our artists and the public we serve. We are hopeful to return to a smaller in-person, physically-distanced event by July 2021, following the safety guidelines provided by Toronto Public Health.
In the event that the in-person event is cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Online Fair will continue regardless. Despite the challenges of the pandemic, our dedicated community of patrons, community partners, and art lovers came together in 2020 to support the pilot Online Fair, creating a viable platform that we plan to build upon for 2021 and aid in artists’ financial recovery.
TOAF Virtual Info Session + Q&A (OCAD U specific)
Date: March 2, 2021
Time: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Are you interested in applying to the TOAF Career Launcher? Join Ania Harmata, Operations Manager at Toronto Outdoor Art Fair for an info session on best practices for putting your application together. This opportunity through OCAD U's Career Launcher program is open to OCAD U students in Illustration, MAAD, Photography, or Print/Publications in their graduating year.
TOAF Virtual Info Session + Q&A
Date: February 16, 2021
Time: 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM EST
Thinking of applying for the Toronto Outdoor Art Fair Career (TOAF) Launcher for ILLU, MAAD, Photography or PRNT/PUBL students in their graduating year (2021)? Or perhaps you're thinking of applying for the fair's general call?
On Feb 16, learn how to create a strong submission, what the Toronto Outdoor Art Fair jurors are looking for, and get some insight into the hybrid online and in-person event.
Toronto Outdoor Art Fair
Date: July 2-11, 2021 (10 days online, 3 days in-person)
Location: Online and In-person at Nathan Phillips Square, 100 Queen Street W, Toronto, ON
- 7 images of your artwork (a consistent portfolio of work)
- 1 Installation, grouping or booth image (your work in context)
- A brief artist statement (500 characters max)
- A short description of your work, your medium/method (200 characters)
FREE to apply - use the discount code TOAFCL2021 during checkout
Apply here: https://torontooutdoor.art/artist/sign-in;
Extended to March 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM
Contact Ania Harmata, Operations Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-408-2754