Gallery 44 is a dynamic space and a leading artist-run centre led by a dedicated group of artists, curators and educators, currently seeking a Curatorial Assistant in partnership with OCAD U Career Launchers. Reporting jointly to the Curator of Exhibitions and Public Programs and the Curator of Education and Community Outreach, the Curatorial Assistant will contribute to the development and realization of gallery exhibitions, workshops, and adjacent programming.
The Curatorial Assistant will work directly with artists, guest curators, artist-educators, designers, and Gallery 44 staff. This 30-hour per week position will run from March 9 to June 26, 2020. The role is positioned to offer an emerging curator an opportunity to gain hands-on, working knowledge of exhibitions, publications, public and educational programs, in a fast-paced environment, and amongst a collegial staff-team of five early-career arts professionals.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Exhibitions and Public Programs (70%)
- Assist with the planning, logistics, and implementation of exhibitions in the Main Gallery and Vitrines, including exhibitions in partnership with Images Festival (March 2020) and CONTACT Festival (May 2020).
- Assist with the planning, implementation and promotion of additional public programs, such as artist talks, exhibition tours, and reading groups.
- Contribute to exhibition catalogue production and assist with copyediting texts.
- Maintain timely communications with artists, installers and community partners, monitor work back and production schedules, and ensure that various deadlines are met.
- Assist with the facilitation of equipment and artwork shipping/ transportation for exhibitions and public programs.
- Support exhibition installation and strike, which may include some lifting, art handling, and packing (led by the gallery’s installation technician).
- Support the planning and delivery of opening reception events
- Other administrative duties as needed
Education and Community Outreach (30%)
- Assist with the planning and logistics, including registration and supply purchases for adult educational workshops, both technical and conceptual in scope.
- Assist with the planning and delivery of youth programs, including OUTREACH, Gallery 44’s award-winning education program addressing the needs of underserved youth from throughout the GTA, and Photomagic 44, an analog photography camp for youth.
$18/hour for 30 hours/week (4 days)
G44 Centre for Contemporary Photography
March 9 to June 26, 2020 (16 weeks)
Friday, February 7, 2020 at midnight
- Must be an OCAD U graduate from 2019 or 2020
- Strong communication skills and professionalism, verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated research and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience with project management and logistics coordination
- A good attention to detail, timekeeping and organizational skills
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite. MAC iOS.
- Website management experience
- Experience in writing and editing exhibition texts, including essays and interviews, is an asset
- Experience with photo-production, including darkroom, is an asset
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email), a confirmation of eligibility and a current Resume.
- A cover letter outlining interest and relevant background.
- A short one-page writing sample.
- List of two references
Please submit all components online via Typeform
Gallery 44 is committed to equity and diversity in all aspects of its operations. G44 welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Special Projects Coordinator
P: 416 977 6000 Ext. 3707